Sunday, February 20, 2011

Volunteer In India: The Picnic

Alan and I were taken out into some serious farmland today for a picnic. When we left, it was sunny and warm, I was in sandals, a short sleeved shirt, and 3/4 length pants. As we sat around in a circle of plastic chairs, the skies clouded over. Then suddenly, everything turned...it was freezing cold and very windy, almost what you'd expect for a tornado! Everything got picked up and brought inside. After sitting inside for a while, Alan and I were told that our hosts wanted us to go for a tractor ride. My fingers might have been numb, but I had to bring the camera along, if only to prove it happened. The whole day was a bit surreal.


They had the servants go out and cut down several sections of sugar cane, which we were then told to peel with our teeth and chew on the stalk. A lot juicier than I would have expected, and not necessarily an easy thing to eat. It made for a lot of laughs, though, all of these seasoned Indians gnawing on their cane, while Alan and I tentatively nibbled on ours.

No comments: