Monday, February 21, 2011

Volunteer In India: Patiala School, Day 3

Today I taught the kids how to do a magic trick...a few months ago, a friend taught me a trick with a chain and a circular piece of metal. He said you never knew when it might come in handy...and he was right! At recess today, I was sitting on the steps, feeling a bit shy and unsure of what to do. I have learned how to sign the alphabet, but actual words are trickier...so it's hard for me to "talk" to the kids. A few of them came to sit by me, and I quietly pulled out the chain and circle, and did my magic trick with it. These kids were absolutely entranced by the trick, and when they got it to work (once) everyone cheered. It was great! At the end of recess, I had every single one of them sitting around me, absolutely rapt with attention. They had to be dragged back to class by their teachers. :)
The kid in the middle is so cute. Alan and I both love him to bits, and it's hard to figure out...he's either beating the other kids up, or acting like an angel with a big grin on his face. Neither of us have ever actually seen him sign.
The art students are really proud of their work. Today, I was approached by several of the students, and they patiently spelled out a word for me...which I misinterpreted twice as "prawing". I sat there, mystified, until they finally gave up and simply dragged me into the room where the DRAWING was being done. Ohhhhh!! I get it. Drawing. Sure, I'll photograph your drawings!
During one class, I offered to "teach" the students some photography. I put the camera on "P", set it to multiple auto-focus points, and handed it over. They thought I made an interesting subject.
Alan was a bit emotional today. I took this photo after he fled from the English class...
In the sewing class, even the boys have to participate.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erika was a little emotional today too. Where's the picture of that?

And congratulations on overcoming the odds and becoming a photographer. You are the Jackie Robinson of white women.

(Homai Vyarawalla, Rajenda Kunverba)

http://www.sarai.net/publications/readers/03-shaping-technologies/061_069_sgadihoke.pdf