Wednesday, November 10, 2010

East Coast Trip: Alabama

The last couple of days have been spent in Mobile, Alabama, visiting Ruth and Scott. Yesterday Scott and I went to see Ruth on Dauphin Island at the Sea Lab, where she works. She showed me around, we went out for lunch, and then Scott and I walked along the beach looking for tar balls. (We didn't find any)


Scott works as a paramedic/firefighter for the Mobile Fire Dept. We stopped by to pick up some eggs (one of the guys has chickens) and the dogs got to run around the station and raise havoc.
The beach sand was at times an interesting combination of white and black.
The place we ate lunch had 4 cats roaming around. They weren't friendly, but not quite feral either. As we sat there talking, I was watching the cats and realized that every single one of them had a slice missing from their ear. The more I thought about it, I realize it must be the "tag" that was done when they were spayed/neutered. Apparently a group was here last year collecting and spaying all of the wild cats. The mark was always the same, and always on the left ear. Not bad! At first, we thought maybe a fight wound, or frostbite...but they were too consistent to be fight wounds, and I don't think that Alabama gets cold enough for frostbite.
Part of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab is a series of rooms for running tests and carrying out research projects. This room was a project about sea grass and fish environments. The grass was made of streamers...you know, like the kind you wrap around presents and curl the ends up?
Lunch was fried pickles (above) and fried flounder (below). I asked for fish and chips...the girl had no idea what chips were.

1 comment:

Tammy W said...

Were the fried pickles yummy? I've never had them, but they sound appealing to me. That fish looks pretty spikey.

I've been busy this week, so I got the pleasure tonight of reading a few blog entries. I'm glad you like to blog. I love the photos & hope you're doing well/allright.