Saturday, November 6, 2010

East Coast Road Trip: North Carolina

I hadn't seen the Olsen's since 1998...but when I stopped by the other day, it felt like I had just seen them the week before. Ken has 3 kids now: Kenny (2), Anah Mae (9) and Addy Lyn (7). His sister Jen has 6 kids. The Olsen's (Lyn and Ken) are doing great, and welcomed me into their home for a couple of days. It was great!
Ken's daughters showed me around their farm. Ken is still in the tree business, and has all sorts of large pieces of equipment around...which the girls treat like it's a jungle gym.
The 100 year old house that Ken and Kristy have renovated and live in.
The first thing the girls did when I brought them to the house was check on the wood fired furnace that heats the house. It's in a separate building, near the house, and I am not 100% clear on how it works, but the girls have it all figured out. They are 7 and 9, and they know exactly what to do if the wood has burned down too low. They are amazing girls. Who knows kids that can (and will) do that? Seriously! I was so impressed.
Anah climbed a post in the horse pasture and was flying.
The girls with Kristy's horse, Goblin. He's 35 years old, and blind in one eye. He's in great shape!
This donkey lives at the Olsen's place, along with 2 horses and a goat. At Ken and Kristy's place, they have 1 horse, 6 cats, several guinea hens, several chickens, hermit crabs, and 2 tortoises. I love farms. :)

No comments: