Friday, October 22, 2010

3:25


Mom died today at 3:25. I am absolutely heartsick over it. The last few days have been an awful blur. She had a stroke Sunday night, and 5 days later she's gone.

At the moment she died, a couple of strange things happened. For one, the music I'd had playing quietly in the room stopped. It had been playing continuously all day...and it simply stopped. The second thing is that about a minute after she died, a family friend walked in...he's a minister of a church, and he said he'd been sitting down writing the sermon for this weekend, and suddenly felt like he needed to come see mom. He visited 2 days ago...at the hospital...and hadn't made any specific plans to come back. But something made him stop in the middle of writing this sermon to come down immediately. And that was just as mom had passed.

We've had some visitors at the hospice over the last 2 days...and in the process we've laughed while remembering some of the great things about my mom. Today, her former boss came to see her. Mom was a legal secretary for Roger for many years (maybe 13??) and anyone that knows her will know how organized and methodical she was. And I suppose that these are very good qualities to have if you are a secretary...especially a legal secretary! Roger was telling us about how whenever he'd write letters or papers of any kind, he'd then hand it to my mom (Janet) to be "janetized". So funny to hear that made up word, it's just so perfect.

And we talked about how enthusiastic she was about so many things. I will always say that she was my biggest fan. She was always so supportive and loving. She'd be there for me for any reason, was always so generous with her time. If you ever ate anything she made and said you liked it, you'd probably be handed half of it to take home with you AND the recipe printed out and in a nice plastic protector. She always said that she "just wanted me to be happy"...which means a lot, especially when some of my life choices haven't been quite the norm.

I am a coordinator for the stART on the Street festival, and just a month ago, she helped us out by bringing her garden cart and using it to haul trash up and down the street, collecting it all. She was happy as a clam doing it! Couldn't wait to help out at next year's festival. When the T&G published a photo that happened to include her in the background (hauling trash) she was so excited she sent the link to everyone. So funny. :)

I am mentally and physically exhausted from the events of the last 4 days. When I found out about mom via email, it was already a half day later, and I was in India. It was already late at night there, and I was helpless to do anything. The next morning, I got an email from my uncle saying that my DAD was also in the hospital...heart problems. I think I am going to stay quiet for awhile. I'm going to stay in Princeton for awhile, with dad. We're gonna keep each other company...

20 comments:

Julie O'Neill said...

Oh Erika!
I am so deeply sorry. I have been quietly following along with your blogs, feeling just horrible for you. A tragedy like this is something that I have always feared myself while in India. Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman and I can see so many of her qualities in you. Please take care of yourself and your dad. With lots of love, Julie.

Billie Mercer said...

There is nothing to say to make it any better for you. But I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers to you and your family.

Tina Z said...

<3 to you and your father. We are here.

James said...

I very much remember your mom and how sweet she was. I'm so very sorry to hear she has passed and can't even fathom your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your Dad.

- Jim

me said...

I won't soon forget your Mom dragging around that trash cart with a big smile on her face at stART even though it was a lot of work and a hot day. She was always so pleasant :)
Thinking of you and your Dad. Hugs.
-S

Anonymous said...

Erika,you don't know me, but I have been following your blog for quite some time.I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Jessica said...

Erika, I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I am glad that I had the chance to meet your mother, who was very sweet and kind. You and your family are in my thoughts....

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this sad news Erika. We haven't seen each other in a while, but know that if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. <3

Jeff said...

.....that is the most fitting tribute anyone could ever want from their daughter. My thoughts and prayers for you and your dad as this time and place on both of your paths. And the most heartfelt, biggest hugs to both of you. jb~

Ginod42 said...

Erika,

I'm sorry for your loss. It's such a difficult thing to go through. But I looked at the page and saw those pictures...they're so wonderful. You really captured her spirit and they were great to see. And that's what I'll focus on this morning. I'm sure with time, you'll be able to do the same.

Take care of yourself. We're here for you. many hugs and love, Gino

pitchertaker said...

When I first met Janet, I could never remember her name for some reason, so I asked if I could call her Mom, too, just as you did. She loved it. So for at least the last 7 or 8 years I have called her Mom even though I bested her in years. It was a name so fitting, her face would light up anytime I greeted her with a "Hi Mom". And at your birthday party, I note that just about every time you said "Mom" a smile would cross her face -- she had so much pride in you. I will miss her dearly. If you need me for anything, please ask. Much love.

Patty said...

Dear Erika,
That you were able, in spite of profound grief and exhaustion, to put together such a sensitive portrait of your mother, one that rings so clear, so true, is a gift to all of us who loved and admired her. There are few in this world whom one can say this of, but Janet was all kindness and goodness. Thank you for your carefulness. Love, Aunt Patty and Uncle Reinhard

Stephanie said...

Erika,
Those photos are wonderful. A reminder of your beautiful Mom.
My heart goes out to you and your family. Love and hugs out to you all.

Anonymous said...

Erika, what a beautiful tribute to your Mom who you look a twin to. May you & your Dad find some comfort that she's in peace now. What wonderful memories you have of a warm & caring Mom.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P Janet, from others who loved you as well:

Kurt (son)
Diana (daughter in law)
Aurora (granddaughter)
Iain (grandson)
Voula (daughter in law's grandma)
Christine (daughter in law's mom)

...and other extended family and friends who've expressed their prayers for Janet...

Diane
Jen
Jimmy
Debbie
Kosta
Chris
Lainey
Michele
Jordan
Addison
Emily
John
Elaine
Ian
Sarah
Maria
Brendan
Pam
Mike
Chris
Nancy
Dianne
Louise

...and thanks also to the many men and women from St. Nectarios Greek Orthodox Church who have prayed and lit candles for Janet...

Bryce Allison said...

Erika - Please accept our condolences and pass on the same to Gerhard. We have been praying for your family since your Mom had the stroke. My mother (Betty Sidor) gave us the sad news on Friday. Mom and Wolf will especially miss Janet's visits to them in Texas. We will continue to lift your family up in prayer. Bryce Allison (Julie, Heather and Abbie)

Stephen DiRado said...

First time I met Mom was at your opening at Worcester State (Just few years back.). I was so impressed. Her smile, completely contagious, and her interest in your life an career was explosive. First impressions could have not been better. The last time I saw Mom, she was at START working as a volunteer. Same smile, same attitude towards helping and expressing absolute pride for all. LONG LIVE Janet. She will be with me for a long, long time to come. Wonderful photos of her in this blog, thank you for sharing.

Jeanne Clayton said...

Erika,
I am so saddened. Janet is the only cousin I was close to. Janet and I always felt we were close to Gram and she had a big influence on us both. I am very grateful she preserved Gram's journal and Uncle Herb's war letters. I used to tell people who didn't know Janet that she was like me only more so. One time when we went to dinner there and said the cake was really good and asked for the recipe, she said she thought people might want the recipe so she had photocopied it ahead of time. You're right that she only wanted what's best for you. She was always supportive and proud of your endeavors, your openness, your talent, and your warm heart. She would never have published her recipes with all those handwritten notes -- she would have found a way to make them all neat and consistent -- but she would have been proud and honored that although it was harder to do, you put it together with the handwritten notes to preserve her character. I will miss Janet very much, but I will always remember her enthusiasm, her joy, and her love. She is still here in our hearts.
Love,
Jeanne

Cailey said...

I am very sorry for your loss, Erika. I love your blog ~ especially seeing India. My eyes are tearing over ~ Stay strong.

Cailey said...

^ Sorry for the untimely comment, I just saw this post for the first time but I now realize it is from a couple of years ago. Well today it has made me appreciate my mom, yours looks like an awesome lady :)