Saturday, July 5, 2008

India: More scans

The kids scaled these large metal "buoys" in a split second to peer down at us. We had just been let off of the boat, so that the crew could dismantle the boat, float it under the bridge, and then reassemble it on the other side. Due to the layout of the land, these metal buoys were the only shelter to find- and we were all desperate to pee, after being on the boat for several hours. No one wanted to pee with such an audience, so we pretended that we were simply looking..and then we noticed that we hadn't been the first ones to consider the area a toilet. The ground below was a veritable mine field of human feces.
The day of the camel ride ended here- at a place created for the tourists to "camp" overnight. It was a huge enclosed area of the desert with many large, permanent tents. Although visually striking, the real reason I was up so early shooting was because it was so cold I couldn't sleep any more. I was frozen. That night I had slept in all the clothes that I'd brought along, and in my gloves, too! The gloves were the only residual New England thing I had with me as I had been expecting a warm climate in India. That didn't really happen. It is my understanding that the desert climate is much different than other areas in India, but I didn't know that before going. Well, ok, I had read that the desert can be cold but I didn't believe it.
The camels were a litle intimidating, but I couldn't resist getting just a little closer...
I mentioned before that I only saw about 3 pet dogs in India. This was one of them, although how much of a pet he really was I can't say. But, he did have a leash, and was desperate to play with me!
This place in Pushkar stopped me in my tracks. Old, worn, beaten, blue and had an odd geometry for my eyes. Despite the human-less appearance, this was actually a huge feat to accomplish. The road was a main one, and was very busy with cows, locals, and tourists.

No comments: