Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dog Park Holgas

Boy, have I fallen behind on the dog park negatives! I just scanned images that have SNOW in them. Hmmm. And I have a few rolls still waiting to be processed. Ah, well, life does get in the way sometimes- until this week, I haven't had time to do my own projects. I have had weddings every weekend, and thankfully the next one isn't until July 19th. So a few of the dog park photos were kinda interesting- I will post a few.

For anyone who doesn't know, my holgas are cheap plastic cameras that use medium format film. They can't be controlled like normal cameras, you have to guesstimate on exposure time and focus. It's a riot! I plan to take them everywhere with me. AND in the future, I will bring packets of developer, fix, etc with me and process the film before I fly home. After the India disaster (fogged film from airport radiation) I would rather exercise more control over my film fate.

The holga (above) was accidentally left on "bulb" for a few rolls. Most of them are trash, but this one caught my eye. It took a bit of tweaking to get the image to appear, but I could see it on the negative so I knew it was there.This girl comes every weekend with her Boston's- they are a bit more wired than my three!Another from the "bulb" accident negatives. I like how the dog is streaking thru and leaping out of the frame.

This was an interesting catch- the dog looks like he is stopping quickly. I like the raised paw and the shadow, plus the clarity to the body and the motion blur to the ground.


This one almost looks like a double exposure to me- the fur texture of the bigger dog is almost identical to the grass tone and texture. And it's a self portrait!

By the way, I may have killed my flash last weekend shooting at the park. I always have it on the cable (like in the shadow above) and it slipped and fell...into the stream. A $500 flash on a $25 camera. Ah, well.

Tonight I will load the holgas with color film and head to Jonathans to do long exposures of the firework. They should be right next to his place, I figure that the deck at his house or Stephens should be about right to get the perspective I want. I don't really care about fireworks, but I want to see what the holga can do with time exposures for things like that.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I'm looking forward to seeing holga fireworks. Post them when they're processed!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see cemetary Holga pics!

Yes, I'm morbid, but you've been my sister in law for almost 13 years now, so you should know that already ;)