Sunday, July 4, 2010

Peachtree Road Race July 4 2010

Last year, I flew down to Atlanta to cheer on my friend Penny (and her family) when they ran the Peachtree Road R (10k). She asked me to run...I laughed. I had never run, ever! I was always on my bike, but never running. As I watched 55,000 people run by me, I started to think a little more about it. After the trip, I bought new sneakers and went on a few tentative walk/runs. Nothing major. And over time, I discovered that not only was it kinda fun, but it didn't hurt. I thought runners always had issues with feet, knees, etc. "It's hard on your body!" you always hear folks say. Well...it's been a year now, no injuries so far.

Something that amazes me is the fact that only 5 years ago, I was in pain just walking. I had bunions on both feet, and although the right foot was much worse, the left was starting to give me trouble too. Pushing in a clutch hurt. Going for a walk hurt. I was only 35! So I took matters into my own hand and went to a foot doctor. He did surgery on both feet, one year apart, and since then I have clearly been able to do pretty much anything...without pain.

Awhile ago I noticed that the right foot had this funny, hard lump on it...right about where the screws from the surgery were. At first they didn't hurt, but it got a little more prominent, and then I started accidentally hitting it on things at THAT hurt. So I went back to the doctor....he confirmed that I did indeed have a migrating screw. On June 30th, I had surgery to take that screw out. Today is July 4th. I just ran that race.

Yesterday at a wedding, I had to change my bandaging 4 times because I was seeping blood from the surgery site. During the ceremony, I found myself wondering why my foot felt wet...and looked down at my sandals to see that I had blood dripping between my toes, everywhere. I was glad I was wearing long black pants. That kinda covered it up.

So the wedding was over by 4...and the plan was to drive directly from the wedding to Logan Airport, fly to Atlanta (8:00), rent a car (11:30), drive an hour to Penny's (1am), and get up at 5am to go to the race (an hours drive away). I was groaning to myself "WHY did I think I could do this? I should have stayed home with an ice bag and my pain meds!"

At the beginning of the course, I set off walking, figuring I'd limp my way down the road and meet up with them at the end (or call to be picked up somewhere). I had a backpack with me (food, camera, wallet, water, etc), stopped at Starbucks, got a coffee and scone, walked a little more. And then I realized my foot felt pretty good. I tightened the straps on the backpack and tentatively started a slow run. Not bad! In fact, it was pretty good!

In the end, I walked the first 2.5 miles and ran the rest. 10k is a 6.2 mile course. And my stitches are fine. My foot is NOT swollen. And strangest of all, NO bleeding. Yesterday was a disaster...just ask Tim! Today? Nothing. I am so proud that I ran this race. I realize many folks will be inclined to lecture me, but damn it, I did it and I am ok. And I had a great time! :)




3 comments:

pitchertaker said...

Lecture, lecture, lecture, lecture, lecture......etc.

Tina Z said...

good job, screw the lecture, just look at the stuff I do. What was your time?

Katie said...

haha running IS hard on the body... you are very lucky not to have had any injuries! It seems like since I started running, about half the time I have been injured in some way from doing it. Worth it though!