Sunday, July 11, 2010

I refuse to trek across Asia with all my cameras...but what to leave behind?

The upcoming trip to Asia has me in a bit of a spot. I am headed to Thailand, Hong Kong, India, and maybe Beijing. For the first time, I need to bring the "real" camera equipment with me, as I will be shooting for jobs, not just personal projects. I have to assume that I will be traveling alone (what else is new?) and therefore need to consider all kinds of situations.

From past experience, I have learned that the more stuff you bring, the harder it is to A) get into bathroom stalls...B) get onto trains without abandoning half of your stuff (even for a minute) on the platform...and C) get around in general and not feel overwhelmed. Oh, and you want to buy things overseas to bring home? Good luck with carrying all of THAT stuff, too!

So I am rearranging my camera bags to do a few trial runs. Maybe I will head to NYC, or Canada, or somewhere, anywhere really, that requires using public transportation and includes your typical travel aggravation. (Except, of course, that this is not quite the same...add language barriers and customs formalities to the real trip and you have it all.)
The photo above doesn't even start to cover the stuff I have. When I go to a wedding, I bring 3 bags with me. This provides me with immediate access to the primary stuff, secondary stuff, and a third bag with extras or backup equipment. I need to cull 3 bags worth into ONE backpack. Granted, it is a backpack designed for camera equipment (which is good) but it only holds do much, ya know?

I also need to bring the following:

* The holga cameras and all related paraphernalia. (Because if I am going to all these places I am STILL going to insist on my own projects getting done, too) This means: at least 50 rolls of film, changing bag, black tape, tins for exposed film, tripod, and cable release.

* The laptop...and the power cable, my trackball mouse, the CF card reader, an electrical converter plug, and the cable for my digital wallet.

* Clothes and toiletries. Oh, yeah, I have to get dressed and be presentable every day.

* Maps and travel books.

I keep asking Tim to come with me, at least to Thailand. He keeps giving me vague answers, which leads me to believe that it won't happen. So, I am going to operate on the assumption that I will be alone and need to bring as little as possible...without leaving important/necessary things at home. Sigh.

No comments: