Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Animal Aid

These are the ticks from one half of one dog. I couldn't turn him over to get the other half because he was in such pain. But as he lay there, I took some time to clean him up. he had too many little friends.
This is one of the dogs that lives at the clinic. In all, about 50 dogs live there. They have injuries to such an extent that they are not releasable. This is one...but I can't remember her name. Her upper and lower jaws are markedly off. I believe this is a genetic issue...that the genes for upper and lower jaws are in totally separate places.
Yes, this is a bone showing thru a wound in a dogs leg. What strikes me the most about these dogs is how little muscle they have on their bodies. They are literally skin and bones.

I had no idea that dogs could contract venereal diseases. Once I was aware of it, I started looking around. Almost all of the female dogs have the disease, and it essentially makes their whole vulva a tumor. They treat it with Vincristine. Sorry if I am grossing anyone out. This is what I see here every day.


This is how morning treatments are done...on the ground, with a tray of antiseptic, injectables, bandaging. The man on the right is one of the veterinarians.








And this is Minnie. She has no back legs, and is outfitted with an e-collar for her rear. If she didn't have this, she'd drag her hind end in such a way that she'd have constant open sores. This way the e-collar takes all the abuse.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such pain and suffering...take care of your self!

Lakota Den Productions said...

So sad - but I'm sure all of the dogs are still happy and wagging there tails. They don't care, as long as they get some attention - that's what makes dogs great!