Saturday, January 3, 2009

Central America: Cancun

Boston...leaving home Jan 3rd. At any rate, it took me 12 hours to get here. (That´s easier than the 36 hours to get to India.) I left Worcester at 9:30 am and arrived in Cancun at 9:30 pm (Boston time). It´s always interesting, travelling with tons of other people, everyone has somewhere to go. Think about how many people are travelling at any given moment...the airports are always packed...there are always lines at security, check in, customs, immigration, baggage pick up. It is a constantly renewing cycle of people getting from one place to the next. And of course, all of them hoping to get there on time and with no inconveniences. I must say, my only complaint is that the girl next to me from NYC to Cancun bit her nails the entire way (that´s 4.5 hours of nail biting, folks). People can have lots of really annoying habits, but I have to say nail biting certainly ranks up there with the gross ones. I mean, I can see if you have just unexpectedly torn a nail, have no nail clippers, and it´s catching on everything. By all means, bite the darn thing off! But really...when it's such a habit that you can´t take your fingers out of your mouth...eeeeesh. She didn´t catch my subtle (?) looks. I am sure you all know me well enough to know how subtle my looks can be....oh, yeah. And then at one point, she crossed her legs and the bottom of her boot was in my space-not a casual crossing of the legs where hers is flirting with my knee, but a serious "my foot and your elbow are friends now" kind of cross. No big crime, here, just a bit undesirable. Here's OOOOHH the wing of my plane...juxtaposed with the tail of another plane. How unique, how creative, how artsy. Yeah. Well, we sat there for awhile, I had to do something.



And myself and the first of the silly self portraits that you will see. The plight of the solo traveller...





Sunset takeoff from NYC. OOooooh.




I guess I have a room all to myself tonight, I arrived a couple of hours after the big GAP Adventures group meeting and by then everyone else was squared away with rooms and room mate assignments. I will meet them tomorrow AM, then, when we all leave to go to Playa Del Carmen. I did see the roster, though...15 people plus the guide. This is a little bigger than the India trip, that was 12 people.

Don´t mind me, I am sure I will deliver much more interesting and thoughtful photos in good time. For now, I am going to go upstairs and lay myself down to rest. I found some food, found the computers, and have only a few more pages to go in my book. Buenas Noches!










6 comments:

Tina Z said...

Good morning, Erika! Glad to see you made it safely. Looking forward to following your trip!

XO,
T

pitchertaker said...

Hard to beat that Tina to the punch, but my good wishes for a safe and productive trip, also. Will check daily despite the crick in my next looking at vertical pictures. ;-)

P'taker

Bridgie said...

Excited to see what's to come! And I do know what you mean about traveling alone, but in a group, especially as a photographer. Its totally safer, but maybe they're not very understanding when you run off after seeing something shiny!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have Day 1 report and to know you're safely there. Had just a wonderful laugh re your "subtle looks" bit. Oh, yeah! :-)

Mom

Anonymous said...

Yayyy, no headache and lost luggage on day 1!

Unknown said...

Did I mention how much I love that first picture? lol