Sunday, March 6, 2011

India: Indian Style Toilets and Delicate Feminine Issues, all of your questions answered!

Blog post disclaimer: for those of you who don't really know me...or know me too well...or are wedding clients (but check my blog to be polite/curious/kill time)...perhaps this isn't the post for you to be reading. For those who know me "just right", or are a woman, or are considering travel to parts of the world that lack *GASP* modern toilets...keep reading. Do not get to the end of this, groan in disgust, and say I didn't warn you.

Ok, that said, I have a few things to educate you about regarding bathroom facilities, and in a related sub section...how to best deal with getting your period. Let's tackle the toilet issue first, shall we?

Every single person I have spoken to from home gets a little weird when it comes to matters regarding bathroom facilities here in Incredible India. I sorta roll my eyes, and respond along the lines of "it's not really that bad" and I mean it. In fact, I have grown so fond of the system, that if I were ever to be, say, building a house of my own (we can all dream, right?) I'd INSTALL one. Yes. I would truly choose to have a hole in the floor and NOT use toilet paper.

Let me explain how this system works. You already have the visual...it was the first thing you saw when you tentatively clicked into this post. The basic idea is that you straddle a hole in the floor with both feet (in the photo above, you would be squatting and facing me as I took the photo), do your business, and then use your...left hand...to clean yourself. No toilet paper.

How do you do this, you ask? Not intellectually how do you do this, but realistically. Physically! Alright, if you've made it this far, I have to assume that you have no limits to your curiosity and aren't freaked out enough to have stopped reading. I'll tell you.

In every Indian toilet, no matter how far removed from the world (bus stop, train station, anywhere) there is a water spigot and a cup or bucket of some kind, located right near you, close to floor level. You fill the cup a little way with water. You pick it up with your right hand. You use your left hand to clean yourself, and then pour some of the water from the cup (still in your right hand!) onto your (left!) hand. Repeat until you're satisfied that you've been sanitized.

Now, note that you do not dip your left hand into this cup of water. Why not? What would that do? Think. It would contaminate the water AND the plastic cup. Let's not do that.

Ok, so you've been squatting very close to the floor now, shifting your weight so that you can clean and wash...there's a good chance you've sorta lost your balance a bit, or been completely undone by the sheer oddity of the position. It's ok. Keep practicing. I am always amazed at how limber Indians are. They squat down at ground level for a lot of things...working, eating, killing time. You name it, they can get into the most amazing positions. Thus, squatting over a hole-in-the-floor toilet is no big deal. And it works quite well.

But I digress...you've been squatting and cleaning, trying very hard not to topple over. Now what? Your pants are around your knees, your hand is really wet, your squeaky-clean-parts are wet...now what? Well, you can shake the excess water off, I guess, wipe the remainder on your clothes (or something), pull your pants up, and leave. Any moisture will evaporate quickly enough. You're done! Usually there will also be a small sink and soap with which to wash your hands with, outside of the actual toilet stall.

All is well with the world. You no longer need to pee, your hands are clean, and you can get on with the rest of your day. Easy!

Given a choice between western style and Indian style side by side, I will choose Indian style every time. Why? Because there's still no toilet paper (unless you're one of those folks that carry it around with you in your backpack). And all that water business? It's...wet! And you are positioned differently on a western toilet. Your thighs are closer together. The spigot is still at floor level. You need to lean waaaay over to reach it. It's harder to get your hand thru your thighs (or around them) to do the job. You drip water all over the toilet seat trying to get it to where you need it, make a mess, and then feel badly for the next person that comes along...and there's no way for you to clean it up, because there's still no (guess!) toilet paper.

Now, we've covered normal bathroom chores. It's time to move on to the next section, so I will give one more disclaimer. If you are NOT a woman, you probably should stop right here. We're gonna talk about bleeding now. Monthly womanly bleeding. It's such a joy.

Are you still reading? Ok. Skip to below the next image to learn about the wondrous thing that is the Diva Cup.



This little invention is the most amazing thing that has come along in...well...my entire mature female life. Not only does using a Diva Cup stop you from needing to buy, cart around, and dispose of bulky "sanitary products", it is easy and much more...ummmm...comprehensive? Natural?

It is a simple idea...instead of a tampon, you put this soft plastic cup inside of you. It acts a catch system right underneath your cervix, and as your uterus bleeds out, the cup catches it all without leaking.

Did you just blanche?? I'm sorry. I DID warn you.

Ok, so, anyway...it catches the blood, you remove it when you go to the bathroom, empty it, rinse it off, and put it back IN. Yes, folks, the days of going thru ten tons of tampons and pads are over. You will never have to contribute to the feminine hygiene trash heap ever again!

For me, it has also been easier to use the Diva Cup for one other reason...in India, there's no trash cans. I mean, none. No "special" womens trash cans in the toilet stall. No "regular" trash basket in the bathroom in general. No trash cans. Trash goes on the ground...to get swept up and burned, or eaten by cows, or just ignored.

When I came to Animal Aid last year, I was here for a month. I got my period. (Hey, it's called a monthly cycle for a reason, what can you say?) Anyway, at one point or another I started bleeding. I go to work. Eventually, I go into the toilet stall to deal with things...which, by the way, is located pretty much dead center of the property. Everyone can see you coming and going from that toilet. They know what you're doing. I take out the used and very bloody tampon (gross), and replace it with a new one. Now I am sitting there with a bloody tampon in my hand, the wrapping and cardboard tube from the new one, and...nowhere to put it! No toilet paper to wrap it up in. What do you do?

Well, for starters, you need to put it down long enough to at least wash your hands, etc, but then you can't just leave it there. You need to take it with you. Yep. I had to walk out of that stall with a bloody tampon pressed to my palm (so much for the clean hand) and then hide it in some random scrap of (something) and stuff it into my backpack and...take it with me.

Oh! And try walking thru a place with 100 plus dogs (and a bloody tampon) and NOT have them call you out on it. They have pretty keen noses, and blood is just one of those scents that carry. You cannot try to throw it behind a bush, because the dogs will go and get it, and drag their new toy out in front of everyone at chai time, just to teach you a lesson.

So, basically, the Indian toilet is perfectly suited to both actual bodily elimination issues AND menstrual issues. Still don't understand? The cup needs to be emptied (you pour it into the hole that you just peed in). The cup needs to be rinsed (wallah! A water spout is right there!) and then needs to be replaced. It is a perfectly balanced system, between the unavoidable monthly thing, amazing product, and the existing toilet facilities.

Questions? Comments? If you made it this far, I give you credit.

Now, if you're a girl, go try the Diva Cup, and then tell all your friends about it. I realize it's not exactly casual conversation material, but you'll have trouble keeping it all to yourself. I can (almost) guarantee it. :)

Diva Cup web site: http://www.divacup.com/ For $33, you will never have to buy feminine hygiene products again! Ever!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you mentioned your experience with the Diva Cup. I've been contemplating it since I found out about it but no one I know uses one and I'm a bit apprehensive about it. You've got me leaning toward getting one...

James said...

That was great, Erika! I'm always curious about how the more "mundane" tasks are approached in other countries. Thanks for educating me. :)

Unknown said...

Believe it or not I am already familiar with the DivaCup and could possibly be a male evangelist for same.

Lisa Joy Merill said...

Thanks, Erika! I've always been curious, like James, about how those things get done.

Tabitha said...

okay the curiosity of the sanitary conditions were peaked, I enjoy your blog (that feels weird to say, especially on this post) but now I have a question...The diva cup in the picture looks quite large, is it not?