Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wedding: Tony and Nicole

August has been a busy month for Holga (toy camera) weddings. By the time the month is done, I will have shot 3 full weddings this way...that's a lot. Each wedding probably yields 12 to 15 rolls of film (12 exposures per roll) and the scanning for such a project is phenomenal. And then later on (someday) I need to clean the dust off of the scans, which takes about 20 minutes per image. For the past several days, my life is like this: for about 6 or 7 hours a day, I work on my house (scraping, sanding, painting). A few breaks for food, maybe a walk with the dogs, errands, maybe a run for me. Seriously, my life is bizarre right now. I haven't even been to the grocery store for weeks. Every day I run out of some key food item and then end up being very creative the next day because I can't tear myself away long enough to go shopping. At about 8pm, when it gets dark, I head upstairs to the computer and scan negatives until 12 or 1 in the morning. I head to bed and repeat the same thing the next day. The house is a big deal because I have to go back to my full time job...which means that M-F from 8 until 4, I can't do any work at home. And the 3rd holga wedding is Aug 22, so the negs from the last one have to be done before I dive into the next one. Whew. And I just put myself back on Match.com...will I even have time to date? Hmmmm.
This shot was taken with a tripod...you can see the motion blur of the people at the tables. I love that I can rig up the Holgas with a cable release and it has a bulb setting. It is like finally having control over these cameras! (Normally the shutter and aperture are set, you can't vary them at all. Bulb setting means that I have control over the length of time that the shutter is open, vastly improving negative exposure.)

I do gravitate towards the more bizarre moments at weddings when I have these cameras. :)


It's not perfect, but I love the guy holding shoes, a beer, and a baby. YES!!





Aaaah! I started playing with multiple exposures on the negatives, and not advancing the frame fully. (Does that make sense?) Each time I take a photo, the flash on a cable goes off, illuminating my subject. But on a darkened dance floor, that one thing is all that gets exposed- the rest of the negative space is still "useable". SO, I repeat another exposure in a different section of the frame. And then again. Then I advance it almost all the way and repeat the process, and end up with a continuous strip of multiple exposures that hopefully work well together.


I have photographed almost 130 weddings now. These dresses were probably the most beautiful color I have EVER seen.




















Tony and Nicole were really great to photograph. They are obviously very much in love, and I am so happy for the two of them!





























3 comments:

pitchertaker said...

the guy holding the shoes, beer, and doll is truly great...

Billie Mercer said...

Erica, these are sooooo good.Love them.

nicole said...

Erika,
We absolutely loved your photos! Very beautiful- you are truly an amazing artist. Tony and I can't thank you enough:)