Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Central America: Caye Caulker

Assorted photos from Caye Caulker. I am told that we head out tomorrow for the mainland again, it has been fun seeing this place. It's like a Caribbean island, really.
All the folks watching the sunset. People were watching what I was taking photos of and asking why wasn't I shooting the sunset, isn't it beautiful? Eh. Not really. And the light at that time of day on the buildings was exceptional...people don't quite get it, though.








We left Playa Del Carmen at 7am on a bus that brought us to Chetumal. From there we changed busses (a bit of a wait in between) that would take us across the border to Belize. The border crossing was a long, exhausting procedure. First the bus dropped us off at the Immigration spot, for passport checks and charging us to cross the border ($10 to $30 depending on whether you had arrived in Mexico by land or air...) Then we all got back on the bus, strangely, and it drove perhaps a tenth of a mile and dropped us off at Customs. This time, we had to bring all of our luggage, wait in another line, and make our declarations that we were not bringing bad things into Belize. I did have food with me, but I wasn't about to give it up if they weren't going to search my bags, so I got to keep it. They did search random people and made them throw away all of their food. It was rather comical to watch some people eating their food as fast as they could to avoid losing it into the trash! Once we were given the all-clear to reboard the bus, we headed to Belize City. From there, we were ushered off and directly into a water taxi that took us to Caye Caulker. WHAT A RIDE!! I was so fascinated by this. They loaded a ton of people and all of their luggage into this cramped boat, powered up the 3 huge engines, and took off like a shot. It was amazing! There are some photos below, somewhere.
Above: the 5 gallon water container that actually contained 5 gallons of rum punch that went with our dinner last night. We drank the entire thing. Needless to say, when they all got up this morning and went off to go snorkeling for 7 hours, I stayed in. I still have a headache! And I actually slept for about 12 or 13 hours last night. Needed it. It wasn't ALL because of the rum punch!

A shot of the Caye Caulker hotel that we are staying in. Everything is on poles, my room is in the middle section of the yellow building (which is one of many similar buildings). I have a little deck to hang out on right off of my room!

Caye Caulker, chairs.

This cracked me up. It was on the bus to Belize City. Dirt box??? :)

As the water taxi left Belize City, the exhaust fumes were pretty strong, as they had just started the engines. It was enough to think you'd get high and pass out, but once we got going it wasn't a problem. These 4 girls were right at the end, the only open air spot on the taxi. They got drenched from all of the sea spray, the boat went so fast it just roared past the sides and of course these girls weren't protected by anything. The ride was about an hour.

Dinner last night with the whole group. Shrimp, chicken, fish, conch, rice, pasta, dessert, and rum punch. It was all you can eat for $15 US.

The restaurant was called Wish Willy. At one point during dinner, the a guy from the table next to us came over to our end. "Our" being me and several other girls. Blond, beautiful, and from Norway and Australia. He was from Germany, and I recognized their group as having come over on the same water taxi just an hour or so earlier. He smiled and asked one of the Norwegian girls "So, where's the party at?" with a smile. She told him he should ask our guide, Erik. I had to laugh at that. :)









No comments: